The detail below is intended to provide a useful summary of some of the highlights of our 2021 year to date. This includes successes for paddlers, as well as notable achievements for LKR as a club. Our time to celebrate these achievements was held on November 18, 2021 at our social, prizegiving event and AGM.
- January 2021 – LKR Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) confirmed
- January 2021 – LKR moved to Workshop 5, Park Farm Storage
- May-August 2021 – series of “Come & Try” and “Beginners Towards Racing” lessons which resulted in 20+ new paddlers learning the love of the sport and joining LKR as new paddling members
- July 2021 – 12 volunteers (4 performance athletes and 8 adult members of LKR) embarked on Paddlesport Coaching/Instructor training courses. Learning first aid, safety rescue techniques and coaching/instruction LKR are continuously skilling up to support current and future club members
- July 2021 – LKR paddlers smash it at GB Sprint Championships
- LKR’s 2021 British Champions are Kristina Armstrong (K1 U18 200m), Szymon Sroka, Sam Patterson with Sam & Will Stevely of Edinburgh Schools (K4 U14 500m)
- August 2021 – LKR’s Scottish Sprint Champions and medallists
- LKR’s 2021 Scottish Champions include Tom Patterson (U12b L 200m, 500m), Findlay Lewis (u16b 200m, 500m, 1000m), Kristina Armstrong (U18g 200m, 500m, 1000m), Gilbert Speirs (MM 200m, 500m, 1000m), Gilly MacWhirter (ML 1000m), Kacper Sroka with Rory Dowling Clark of FCC (Open Men’s K2 1000m), Kristina & Alexandra Armstrong (Open Ladies K2 200m, 500m)
- August 2021 – Oban Sea Kayak Race 2021 – Scottish first for triple ski crew including LKR’s Lizelle Kemp with Lizzie Polgreen & Lena Kraus (Edinburgh) winning in a time of 1.34 hours.
- August 2021 – Kristina and Alexandra Armstrong 8th in Final A K2 500m, and Kristina Final B K1 200m, Junior World Championships in Portugal
- September 2021 – Findlay Lewis selected to represent GB in U17 K4 men 500m – 8th in semi final at Olympic Hopes Regatta, Racice, Czech Republic
- September 2021 – Marshall Davie’s first visit to Nottingham GB Sprint Regatta where he met Olympian and fellow Scot, Deborah Kerr, and also got promoted to Lightning A!
- June to September 2021 – the final Summer Series event took place on Linlithgow Loch on Sept. 9, 2021. View the final results here – the series winners are:
- 10km (5 laps) – Oliver Bohle (M) & Lizelle Kemp (F)
- 6km (3 laps) Juniors & Novices – Szymon Sroka (M) & Katherine Burnett (F)
- 2km (1 lap) for Lightnings – Rory Tait (M) & Erin Bateman (F)
- October 2021 – Glasgow to Edinburgh Canal Challenge – 55 miles of fun, fun fun!! 5 teams from LKR entered – view results here, and read all about our weekend in the Edinburgh Reporter!
- October 2021 – Congratulations to all LKR paddlers who took part in The Hooley 5K British Open 5000m Championships. In particular to podium finshers Gilbert Speirs (K1 and K4), Donald Gardner (K4), Sam Patterson and Szymon Sroka (K2). Full results are available here
- October 2021 – Euro Challenge 2021, GB Ocean Racing team event in Spain. Gilbert Speirs was honoured to be adopted into the GB team and completed the 22.8km event in 2.05hours. Read all about it here.
LKR Prizegiving – November 18, 2021
In November we had the great pleasure of holding our Prizegiving & AGM at Park Bistro, Linlithgow. This gave us the opportunity to share together in some of the great successes of 2021. Too many to list here, but below are some of the highlights in pictures, courtesy of Jackie MacKenzie, our resident LKR photographer https://jaxmackenziephotography.smugmug.com/. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL!!!
We need your help to ensure we don’t miss anything significant – if you spot anything, please email Cecile on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be delighted to make updates. Thank you!