The detail below is intended to provide a useful summary of some of the highlights of our 2021 year to date. This includes successes for paddlers, as well as notable achievements for LKR as a club. Our time to celebrate these achievements will come on November 18, 2021 at our social event and AGM (details coming soon).
- January 2021 – LKR Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) confirmed
- January 2021 – LKR moved to Workshop 5, Park Farm Storage
- May-August 2021 – series of “Come & Try” and “Beginners Towards Racing” lessons which resulted in 20+ new paddlers learning the love of the sport and joining LKR as new paddling members
- July 2021 – 12 volunteers (6 performance athletes and 6 adult members of LKR) embarked on Paddlesport Coaching/Instructor training courses. Learning first aid, safety rescue techniques and coaching/instruction LKR are continuously skilling up to support current and future club members
- July 2021 – LKR paddlers smash it at GB Sprint Championships
- LKR’s 2021 British Champions are Kristina Armstrong (K1 U18 200m), Szymon Sroka, Sam Patterson with Sam & Will Stevely of Edinburgh Schools (K4 U14 500m)
- August 2021 – LKR’s Scottish Sprint Champions and medallists
- LKR’s 2021 Scottish Champions include Tom Patterson (U12b L 200m, 500m), Findlay Lewis (u16b 200m, 500m, 1000m), Kristina Armstrong (U18g 200m, 500m, 1000m), Gilbert Speirs (MM 200m, 500m, 1000m), Gilly MacWhirter (ML 1000m), Kacper Sroka with Rory Dowling Clark of FCC (Open Men’s K2 1000m), Kristina & Alexandra Armstrong (Open Ladies K2 200m, 500m)
- August 2021 – Oban Sea Kayak Race 2021 – Scottish first for triple ski crew including LKR’s Lizelle Kemp with Lizzie Polgreen & Lena Kraus (Edinburgh) winning in a time of 1.34 hours.
- August 2021 – Kristina and Alexandra Armstrong 8th in Final A K2 500m, and Kristina Final B K1 200m, Junior World Championships in Portugal
- September 2021 – Findlay Lewis selected to represent GB in U17 K4 men 500m – 8th in semi final at Olympic Hopes Regatta, Racice, Czech Republic
- September 2021 – Marshall Davie’s first visit to Nottingham GB Sprint Regatta where he met Olympian and fellow Scot, Deborah Kerr, and also got promoted to Lightning A!
- June to September 2021 – the final Summer Series event took place on Linlithgow Loch on Sept. 9, 2021. View the final results here – the series winners are:
- 10km (5 laps) – Oliver Bohle (M) & Lizelle Kemp (F)
- 6km (3 laps) Juniors & Novices – Szymon Sroka (M) & Katherine Burnett (F)
- 2km (1 lap) for Lightnings – Rory Tait (M) & Erin Bateman (F)
- October 2021 – Glasgow to Edinburgh Canal Challenge – 55 miles of fun, fun fun!! 5 teams from LKR entered – view results here, and read all about our weekend in the Edinburgh Reporter (coming soon)!
We’ll continue to update this as the year progresses. We need your help to ensure we don’t miss anything significant – if you spot anything, please email Cecile on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be delighted to make updates. Thank you!