Its been such a joy to see so many of our LKR paddlers out on the water during these mild winter days, enjoying paddling, performance, friendships and making full use of our Workshop 5 space at Park Farm!
We’ve obtained the 2022 sprint and marathon competition event schedule, which is most welcome, as it means that we can all get these dates into our diaries to ensure we don’t miss a thing this year! As always, these events don’t run themselves – so if you (or non-paddling members of your household) are able/willing to offer support for these events (particularly the ones run by LKR in Linlithgow) then we would be really happy to hear from you. We are always looking for people to help with timing, recording results, getting people on and off the water at the right times for their races and providing safety cover. Please do let Derek or Cecile know if you know of anyone who is able to help – particularly for the Linlithgow Loch Regatta on May 21st?
With the Nottingham national sprint regattas recommencing in April, if you are keen to enter for the first time, then please see the sheet in Workshop 5 to confirm qualifying times by age category. Then speak to Derek/Cecile to arrange to do a timed 500m on the canal in the next few weeks so that Derek can include you when its time to do the entries.
- Ben has resumed coaching of our group of 9 competition paddlers and Gilbert has kindly volunteered to supplement the programme with some additional Saturday coaching for the newer members.
- Our adult paddlers are making regular use of the ergo machines to fine tune their technique over the remaining winter weeks, in addition to the regular Club Saturday paddling sessions. The booking sheet is available for any LKR members to join in. And we welcome any time that our coaches/trainee coaches/experienced paddlers can offer to share their knowledge and help these enthusiastic paddlers to further develop their skills. Please let Cecile know if you can help and you’ll receive a very warm welcome!
- The Lightning paddlers continue with their Zoom sessions for the timebeing and look forward to getting back out on the water after the clocks change in March.
- It has been suggested that with the move to Park Farm that putting in some 500m stick markers eastwards from Park Farm would be very useful. If anyone has any time and the inclination to create and put out some markers (similar to what we already have westwards from Manse Road), please let Derek/Cecile know and we can arrange some support for you.
- We have an opportunity to run some more First Aid and Foundation Safety Rescue Training (FSRT) for any of you who would like to extend your knowledge. These courses can stand alone, but can also lead very nicely into paddlesport instruction and/or coaching qualifications in the longer term. Please let Cecile know if you’d like to find out more or to join in any of these forthcoming courses.
- Lisa has kindly volunteered to help co-ordinate our LKR clothing and merchandise. If you need any LKR kit for the forthcoming season, don’t hesitate to email Lisa and she will be very happy to help you.
As always, if you’ve questions about anything else, please don’t hesitate to let any of Committee members know.